6 Alpha have successfully assessed and managed the UXO risks associated with more than 45 offshore wind farm projects in UK and EU waters. In terms of installed offshore wind farm capability in the UK, we are proud to have worked on 45% of Round 1 projects, 73% of Round 2 projects and 78% of Round 3 projects.
Our practice delivers consultancy solutions as well as end-to-end Project Management services. Increasingly we are being commissioned to Project Manage the wider geophysical survey and geotechnical investigation stage of projects, on behalf of Developers’, ensuring that contractors not only avoid potential UXO, but that they also avoid archeology, wrecks and other seabed obstructions.
We have developed a five-stage process for the management of UXO and other seabed risks (see our guide), which include:
- Desk top UXO Threat and Risk Assessment
- Desk top Archeology Assessment
- Strategy for the management of the avoidance of UXO, archeology and wrecks at the geotechnical investigation stage (as well subsequently at the installation stage)
- Design appropriate geophysical survey solutions for the identification of UXO, archeology and wrecks
- Project Management services to support geotechnical investigation work (ensuring the avoidance of UXO, archeology, wrecks, and other seabed obstructions)
- Geophysical survey contractor selection and tendering support services
- Geotechnical investigation selection and tendering support services (which might be bundled with the geophysical survey work)
- Offshore Client Representation and QA and QC services
- Data modeling services for the identification of UXO and archeology
- GIS and Data Management services
- Bespoke GIS, Safety Sign-off Certification for the avoidance of UXO, Archeology etc
- Overarching sign-off to warrant that risks have been reduced to As Low As Reasonable
- Practicable (ALARP) for both geotechnical investigation and foundation/cable installation contractors